HIV/STD Risk Reduction Counseling & Referral Services
Our experienced staff will meet with you to have a private, confidential conversation. We may discuss:
- What are HIV/AIDS and STDs
- The things you might do that may be putting you at risk for HIV/AIDS and STD infections
- Helping you develop a plan to reduce your chances of becoming infected with HIV/STDs
- If you already know that you have HIV/AIDS, the counselor will talk to you about how you can protect yourself from the threat of re-infection, drug resistance and transmitting HIV to others
Mpowerment (Services for Gay/Bi-sexual Males)
Project ARK's Mpowerment project (also called M-cubed/M3) is an evolving project dedicated to empowering and mobilizing St. Louis’ young gay/bi-sexual male community.
Guiding Principles include:
- Combining HIV/AIDS prevention education/skills building opportunities with fun and engaging social activities to ensure young men attend Mpowerment events, learn about and get tested for HIV/AIDS and STDs.
- Young gay/bi-sexual men want to learn from their peers.
- It is essential to build a young gay/bisexual men’s community where men support each other in practicing healthy sexual behavior, get tested for HIV/AIDS/STDs, as well as help each other in coping with the stresses of being gay/bisexual.
- Young men take ownership of Mpowerment project activities
- Young men are most likely to start reducing their risk of becoming infected with HIV/AIDS/STDs (i.e. using condoms, reducing the number of sex partners), and get tested regularly when they see and hear that their peers are reducing their risks and getting tested regularly.
- The Mpowerment project enriches and strengthens young gay/bisexual men’s pride about who they are, and encourages them to explore and celebrate their sexuality by not just focusing on condom use but by including a wide variety of safer sex behaviors.
- The Mpowerment project should use a combination of events and activities in order to address thevariety of issues (i.e. self-esteem, homophobia, stigma, substance use) that cause young men to engage in risky sexual behaviors and/or chose not to get tested for HIV/AIDS and STDs.
We are always creating new ways for young gay/bi-sexual men to come together, meet, socialize, have fun, and learn.
Check out the Mpowerment project on Facebook or click on contact us.