HIV/STD Risk Reduction Counseling & Referral Services
Our experienced staff will meet with you to have a private, confidential conversation. We may discuss:
- What are HIV/AIDS and STDs
- The things you might do that may be putting you at risk for HIV/AIDS and STD infections
- Helping you develop a plan to reduce your chances of becoming infected with HIV/STDs
- If you already know that you have HIV/AIDS, the counselor will talk to you about how you can protect yourself from the threat of drug resistance and transmitting HIV to others.
Mpowerment (For Gay and Bisexual Men)
Project ARK's Mpowerment project (also called M-cubed/M3) is an evolving project dedicated to empowering and mobilizing St. Louis’ young gay and bisexual male community.
Guiding Principles include:
- Combining HIV/AIDS prevention education/skills building opportunities with fun and engaging social activities to ensure young men attend Mpowerment events, learn about and get tested for HIV/AIDS and STDs.
- Young gay and bisexual men want to learn from their peers.
- It is essential to build a young gay and bisexual men’s community where men support each other in practicing healthy sexual behavior, get tested for HIV/AIDS/STDs, as well as help each other in coping with the stresses of being gay or bisexual.
- Young men take ownership of Mpowerment project activities
- Young men are most likely to start reducing their risk of becoming infected with HIV/AIDS/STDs (i.e. using condoms, reducing the number of sex partners), and get tested regularly when they see and hear that their peers are reducing their risks and getting tested regularly.
- The Mpowerment project enriches and strengthens young gay and bisexual men’s pride about who they are, and encourages them to explore and celebrate their sexuality by not just focusing on condom use but by including a wide variety of safer sex behaviors.
- The Mpowerment project should use a combination of events and activities in order to address the variety of issues (i.e. self-esteem, homophobia, stigma, substance use) that cause young men to engage in risky sexual behaviors and/or chose not to get tested for HIV/AIDS and STDs.
We are always creating new ways for young gay and bisexual men to come together, meet, socialize, have fun, and learn.
Check out the Mpowerment project on Facebook or click on contact us.
LIFE (Learning Immune Function Enhancement)
Maintaining a healthy life with HIV/AIDS is more than going to the doctor and taking your meds. Medical care is vital to fighting the disease, but managing the disease and living a full-life is just as important and is something only you can do! LIFE is an opportunity to empower you to improve your health. We want to help by providing you with the knowledge, motivation, skills, and support necessary to improve your own health.
Join us for a safe and confidential workshop where youth and young adult men and women living with HIV/AIDS come together to learn strategies and gain support in areas that will help them fight the damage HIV/AIDS can do to the body. We offer 4-hour, weekend, or 12-week sessions. Individual counseling is also available.
Workshop topics include:
- Depression, grief and loss
- Developing healthy coping skills
- The importance of identifying a life purpose and setting goals
- Communication Skills
- Body Care (exercise, nutrition, sleep, water, breathing, toxins, germs)