Medical Care

Why do I need to see an HIV specialist?

Most people living with HIV/AIDS should see a doctor for HIV at least 3 times per year, even when they feel well.
There are tests and vaccines that are necessary to keep people living with HIV healthy. Once a medication regimen is started, it is even more important to stay in regular HIV medical care to make sure the medications are working properly. 

How can I see an HIV specialist if I don’t have insurance?

Through Ryan White services, uninsured people living with HIV can see a doctor, get labs, and receive their HIV-related medications for free. Contact a case manager to enroll in Ryan White services.
Where can I see an HIV specialist?
Project ARK’s network includes 5 clinics with HIV specialists:
  • Washington University Infectious Diseases (WU ID) Clinic
  • St. Louis Children’s Hospital Pediatric Infectious Diseases Clinic
  • Saint Louis University (SLU) New Hope Clinic
  • Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital
  • The SPOT Clinic
There are additional HIV specialists throughout the community. Contact a case manager for more referral information.